What to Do and When to Seek Immediate Care
Experiencing a dental emergency can be both painful and frightening, leaving you uncertain about the next steps to take. Immediate and correct action can often save a tooth, prevent infection, and reduce severe pain.
Dentist at Underwood, a leading dental clinic in Underwood, QLD, provides expert advice on managing dental emergencies and why their services are vital in these critical situations. Read more below for what to do with a dental emergency.
Common Dental Emergencies and First Aid
- Toothaches: Rinse your mouth with warm water and gently use dental floss to remove any trapped food. If swelling occurs, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth. Avoid placing aspirin or any painkiller against the gums near the aching tooth as it may burn the gum tissue. Book with us now for our Underwood toothache relief services.
- Chipped or Broken Teeth: Save any pieces. Rinse the mouth and any broken pieces with warm water. If there’s bleeding, apply a piece of gauze to the area for about 10 minutes or until the bleeding stops. Apply a cold compress to the outside of the mouth, cheek, or lip near the broken/chipped tooth to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: Retrieve the tooth, hold it by the crown (the part that is usually exposed in the mouth), and rinse off the tooth root with water if it’s dirty. Do not scrub or remove any attached tissue fragments. If possible, try to put the tooth back in place, but never force it. If that’s not possible, place it in a small container of milk or patient’s saliva and get to your dentist as quickly as possible.
- Partially Dislodged (Extruded) Tooth: See your dentist right away. Until you reach the dentist’s office, to relieve pain, apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth or cheek in the affected area and take an over-the-counter pain reliever if needed.
- Objects Caught Between Teeth: Try to gently remove the object with dental floss. If you’re not successful, visit a dentist. Do not use a pin or other sharp object to poke at the stuck object. These instruments can cut your gums or scratch your tooth surface.
- Lost Filling or Crown: For fillings, as a temporary measure, stick a piece of sugarless gum into the cavity (sugar-filled gum will cause pain) or use over-the-counter dental cement. If a crown falls off, save the crown and see your dentist as soon as possible. If you can’t get to the dentist right away, use a cotton swab to apply a little clove oil to the sensitive area (clove oil can be purchased at your local drugstore or in the spice aisle of your grocery store). If possible, slip the crown back over the tooth, using dental cement, toothpaste, or denture adhesive to help hold the crown in place.
Why Choose Dentist at Underwood for Emergency Dental Care?
- Immediate Response: Emergencies require prompt attention. Dentist at Underwood offer timely and efficient care to address your urgent needs.
- Experienced Professionals: Our team is skilled in handling a variety of dental emergencies, ensuring you receive the best possible care.
- Advanced Technology: We use state-of-the-art equipment to diagnose and treat dental emergencies effectively.
- Patient Comfort and Care: We understand that dental emergencies can be stressful. Our team provides a calm, comforting environment and prioritises your comfort and well-being.
- Comprehensive Services: Beyond emergency care, we offer a full range of dental services to address any underlying issues and provide ongoing dental health support.
- Convenient Location: Centrally located in Underwood, QLD, our clinic is easily accessible for all your dental emergencies.
- Affordable Care: Understanding the unexpected nature of emergencies, we provide affordable treatment options and assist with insurance claims.
Dental emergencies can be daunting, but knowing what to do can significantly impact the outcome. Remember, in all cases of dental emergencies, it’s important to visit your dentist as soon as possible. Dentist at Underwood are committed to providing immediate, high-quality emergency care to help you recover quickly and maintain your dental health.
If you’re experiencing a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to contact us or visit our clinic. Our experienced team is here to provide the care and support you need during these critical moments.
Dentist at Underwood also services the following areas around Underwood:
- Dentist in Springwood
- Dentist in Rochedale
- Dentist in Sunnybank
- Dentist in Daisy Hill
- Dentist in Browns Plains
- Dentist in Marsden
- Dentist in Slacks Creek
- Dentist in Sunnybank Hills
Looking for dental services in Underwood or the above areas? Get in contact with the team today!